Safe Surgery Saves Lives
Five billion people lack access to safe surgical care. Surgical disease kills more people annually than HIV, TB and malaria combined. Unfortunately, surgical capacity is least where it is needed most. Surgical care in low resource settings is cost effective and an indispensable, indivisible part of basic health care. Our philosophy is to work with anesthesia providers in low and middle-income countries (LMIC) to develop self-sustaining programs appropriate to their own needs. Consultations and collaborations with ministries of health, anesthesia providers, anesthesia societies, and local training institutions are key to building successful partnerships.
With partners – including the University of Rwanda, the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Canadian Network for International Surgery, Dalhousie University, Queens University, McMaster University, University of Toronto, Western University, and Global Affairs Canada – we collaborate in low resource settings to build capacity for safe, sustainable anesthesia and perioperative care.
CASIEF currently focuses on collaborative international partnerships in:
- Burkina Faso
“Consent obtained for the use of all pictures on the website”
Board of Trustees
The CASIEF Board of Trustees actively leads the Foundation’s activities and champions its partnerships globally.
- Dr. Joel Parlow (Chair)
- Dr. Dylan Bould (Past Chair)
- Dr. Jennifer Vergel de Dios (Secretary)
- Dr. Julian Barnbrook (Treasurer)
- Dr. Gregory Klar (Trustee)
- Dr. Louis-Pierre Poulin (Trustee)
- Dr. Hilary MacCormick (Trustee)
- Dr. Jason McVicar (Trustee)
- Dr. Saifee Rashiq (Trustee)
- Dr. Jenny Hoang Nguyen (Trustee trainee)
- Dr. Talia Ryan (Trustee trainee)
- Dr . Ana Crawford (Corresponding (ASA))
- Ms. Krista Brecht (Corresponding (LAEF))